9.02.2010

My "platform" or lack thereof.

So I mentioned blogging to a friend at school today.

And she was all "Aw. I love reading blogs. You know, travels, crafts, and all. How would you categorize yours."

Well, to be honest. This threw me for a loop. I even did the whole pause "What was the question again?" look and all.

So I even asked her what she meant.

"Well, what's your platform? What do you write about?"

I guess I've never thought about this before.
To be honest, it just has completely slipped my mind until now.

It's not quite a diary.
I mean, I write a lot of my personal experiences, but not to a full extent where I pour my entirety of being into these posts. I know that's what some people's blogs are. They're the "daily ongoings" or deepest feelings under a pseudonym. But I don't really do diaries. Despite my being great with other people's feelings, I'm not so good with my own. I've never even had a physical diary.

So that's out.

And I obviously don't teach anything. Not that I'm not crafty or artsy or anything. I just don't have time to teach you all how to make things and actually physically do it myself.

And in the end, I don't have a platform as far as issues go. I know people who blog religion, tv, music, political events, troubles with the world, aid for disasters, etc etc.

I guess this is closer. My blog relays my experiences and I try to help people work through theirs. I love causes and I truly love and believe in helping people. I mean, goodness, this is part of why I'm a psychology major.

But by this notion. I couldn't ever blog a cause.

Mainly because I'm too passionate about multiple causes. I couldn't devote myself to one. People who know me in person can vouch for my extremities in passion.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is my blog is my way of helping you. I aim to help you take something from my experiences. Even if it is just random information about something trivial that you never knew before. I like to think and I believe thought is something provocative that can really better people and their lifestyles. So I blog about my thoughts and things that are near and dear to me. Sometimes I do current events. And on occasion I'll bring up a cause whether it be the environment or education.

But to choose one would be untrue to myself.

I guess the ultimate thing to take from this is I'm here for you, whoever you are. If you want to hear something, if you want my opinion, if you want a shout out or want me to cover a topic I will. Just let me know. I value your readership and I value your input.

In the end, I don't need a platform so long as I have a reader.

No comments: