1.02.2012

Reviewing 2012

In keeping up with my attempts to keep up with my blog, I bummed this from Valorie. Hopefully it'll give me a bit of perspective.


[photo is my own!]

1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I wrote more than ever before. I've always been an avid writer, but I'm notorious about picking up multiple projects and rarely completing them. Mind you, I didn't actually "COMPLETE" my novel, but I met the goal of 50k words. It was amazing and I find I've been writing more consistently ever since.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I typically don't make resolutions, so no. But I made 22 for my 22nd year of life.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. My cousin had another daughter. I was hoping we'd share a birthday but she's a day after. Darn.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
A cousin committed suicide this year, and while I hadn't seen him in years, it definitely impacted me.

5. Did you visit anywhere exciting?

I think the most exciting thing this year was going to Oklahoma in the spring for a concert.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A Plan. And maybe some will-power.

7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There's not really a date so much as a time period because it changed my relationship with someone and my perception of the world.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I got a poster accepted to a psychology conference. That was pretty awesome.

9. What was your biggest mistake?

Letting my bitterness toward certain people affect my college life.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

I was pretty sick while taking my GRE, but nothing serious.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The best thing I bought was my DSLR after saving for three years! My parents bought me some awesome Freudian slippers for Christmas though.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friend Shannon. We both had a rough time this semester and it was nice having an equal support system.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A certain boy, and a few friends actually. I consider myself fairly accepting, but sometimes people just amaze me.


14. Where did most of your money go in 2011?
Tuition. Always the tuition.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Next semester, concert plans, my camera and my new hobbies.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?

Shelter - The xx

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? About the same. I guess a little happier because the end of college is near.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner. Definitely thinner. I've been sick lately.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer. Tuition went up and I did some extravagant shopping for my munchkin (read:younger brother) for his birthday.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Saving, planning, and studying. Always studying.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Letting myself get tunnel vision, be it emotionally or goal wise.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

As usual, mediating the family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes. With someone I thought I wouldn't fall in love with.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
I watched a lot of things. My favorite new show is definitely Once Upon A Time, but I have to admit Gossip Girl also got a lot of love.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

There's too much hate in the world. I'm going to go with strongly dislike. And no. It's more disappointment.

24. What was the best book you read?
I always read a lot. Too much. I think the one that stuck with me was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. But Salinger got a lot of love from me too, even though it wasn't something new for me to read.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don't think I had any great "new" discoveries. A lot of old favorites put out new things. I paid a lot more attention to the XX I guess.

26. What did you want and get?

An idea of what I wanted to do. I found my research calling. Baby steps in the right direction.

27. What did you want and not get?

Hm. Stability and assurance. Not just internally but with the path of my life.

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 21. Didn't do much of anything special. I'm not big on my own birthday.

29. What's one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Honesty.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?

Hm. I definitely got into the dress and blazer idea. Also lots of vests and layering.

31. What kept you sane?

My writing.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Joseph Gordon-Levitt. JGL always.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Domestically it was definitely LGBT issues. Nationally I followed a lot of the arab spring stuff.

34. Who do you miss the most?

Oddly enough I missed people near me. That was largely changes in relationships.

35. Who was the best new person you met?

New people? Hm. I bonded with a lot of freshmen. They're all pretty legit.

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
Stop self-compromising.

37. What are your new years resolutions for 2012?
There's a lot. But I promise they're good. ;)

No comments: