3.06.2010

Serendipity

Courtesy of Dictionary.com


ser·en·dip·i·ty
   /ˌsɛrənˈdɪpɪti/ Show Spelled[ser-uhn-dip-i-tee]
–noun
1.
an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident.
2.
good fortune; luck: the serendipity of getting the first job she applied for.

I love the movie Serendipity. I've seen it hell knows how many times ever since I can remember. It's one of my mom's favorites. But no matter how much we watch it, no matter my mood, I can't seem to get over it.

I also find the word to be beautiful. And I think I live my life hoping for a level of serendipity. It's pretty great, and at this moment I definitely feel it.

For the first time in ages. I feel completely like myself. Honestly,I can rarely say what I believe myself to be. But in this instant, I feel as if I'm as I should be. It's a wonderful feeling. If only fleeting.

In more normal and less "new-agey" news, I got my haircut! Finally. Since I couldn't do what I wanted with it, I kind of did a "to hell with it" and cut it. It's not as horribly short as in the past, but I feel like it's very me.

Also, I have two new books (well, actually it's more like four, but two that have significance in my life).

The first is Franny and Zooey, by J.D. Sallinger. My friend Valorie, lent it to me and my goodness was it quite life-changing. I've always been a big Sallinger fan, but this book might be my new favorite. I even went out and bought it for myself. It's two stories about siblings Franny and Zooey glass, who come from a family of child geniuses. I'd give a summary, but I feel like the summary would give up too much of the story as it's almost just about life itself. I highly suggest it to everyone.

I also am ending my year and a half quest for the book Faust by Goethe. I've read Marlowe's version of Faust, and one of my favorite quotes (which I hope to get tattooed on my ankle), comes from this version, and V for Vendetta, which in turn go it from Faust. "Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici." or "By the power of truth, I, while living, conquered the universe." Faust is pretty complicated but the general idea is Faust sells his soul to the devil for knowledge. Goethe's version is supposed to be more deep and intense than Marlowe's so I'm looking forward to it.

And I got a haircut. But no pictures yet. Those are to come soon.

1 comment:

Simply Valorie said...

I *knew* you'd love Franny and Zooey. Salinger is just... there are no words. I'm about to read Raise High The Roofbeam, Carpenters. Have you read it?