1.07.2010

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil


So after watching jeopardy today, in which there was a category about books (and quotes), I realized that one of the books mentioned was sitting on our table.

My mom had bought it early in the break.

So I picked it up and didn't put it down for the rest of the day, despite it not being on any of my book lists. :)

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt is a NON-FICTION book written in novel-like form with small changes mainly to protect the identities of those involved (Think Capote and In Cold Blood). The novel centers around Savannah, Georgia, a somewhat high class Southern town that boasts history and interesting architecture. (The quote mentioned in jeopardy was about how the "12 squares" of the city were what made it beautiful.)

While I don't want to give too much away, I will say the book combines murder mystery with insight into the personas and lifestyle of Savannah society. It was definitely one of the best reads I'd had in a while. So pick it up. I promise it'll be worth your time.

2 comments:

Simply Valorie said...

I'm not going to lie, the cover of that book is slightly creepy. Is it a slightly creepy book?

The Cynical Optimist said...

Not really. there are aspects that are weird but I wouldn't call it creepy. (And I agree btw, the cover did provide me with an interesting nightmare.)