6.04.2009

En este vida, solo hay manana.



^ I went for Spanish instead of a lyric.

It means, "In this life there is only tomorrow."

It feels like something I've been living by as of late. I've been pretty busy lately. And while it's a nice change from the usual laid back boredom that engulfs summer, it's a bit bittersweet, as it eradicates my time to think (albeit I think too much regardless). So here are things lately:

First of all, a few bits of history and news today. Actor David Carradine was found dead today in Thailand. Sad news. I don't recall what movie they say he was working on (I remember it sounding vaguely interesting though). My generation probably knows him best as Bill from the Kill Bill series by Tarantino, but my parents best know him from the '70's series Kung Fu, where the term "Little Grasshopper" originated. Thailand is labeling the death a suicide, but it seems a little fishy honestly. I'm curious as to what the final ruling will be. Regardless, R.I.P. to a great actor who will be remembered for his work.

In other news, today is June 4th, which means it is the twentieth anniversary of the Tianamen Square Massacre of 1989 in which the Chinese government killed a number of protesters, a large number of which were college students and only children of their respective families.(It also seemed to serve as a reminder to my father that I will be twenty next year. Shocker.) The true number of dead is unknown (as the Chinese government is said to downplay it while other sources are said to exaggerate) but any loss is a loss nonetheless and the event should be remembered. Hong Kong hosted the only memorial of the event today while the rest of China overlooked it and efforts to film and photgraph in the square by U.S. media were thwarted, indicating the want (or possibly need) of the government to keep a lid on the event. Despite the efforts, around the world the day will be remembered as it should. I'd also like note that very appropriately, I woke up to the song Hypnotize by System of a Down (Why don't you ask the kids in Tianamen Square, was fashion the reason why they were there?)

My last bit of news for the day is a brief note of President Obama's speech in Cairo today to the Muslim world. I haven't made it through the whole thing yet (I was almost done when mom called for dinner). But from what I saw, as well as the analysis I've seen, I feel like it was a job well done. While many analysts are saying the speech didn't give direct indications of action in the near future, I feel like the President did what was necessary. It's pretty obvious it is impossible to get a lot done in the Middle East immediately, but the implication that things will be done is there. It was good that he acknowledged the need to eliminate stereotype as well as the idea that goverments should be as the people want and that we have no right to interfere so long as it is the people's choice. I feel it was a good point for him to point out flaws in both the Palestinian and Israeli actions rather than take sides as numerous previous administrations appear to have done. While people think it's not much, it's good progress and obviously an extended hand to make an effort to do something different.

So my life.
Haha. Not a very subtle transition.
Things have been crazy. Mom had surgery so I've been taking care of her and the house. I started my job at Build-A-Bear (and made myself a new one. His name is Seymour and he's one of my favorite things right now.) I've been trying to find time to work on my latest story about a psychiatrist in San Francisco named Davey. (FYI, Davey is a girl). I've been dealing with some personal issues involving Houston and people in that city and have decided to take an alternate course of personal action. And I've decided to try my hand and new projects. Amongst the two I've done recently are deciding how to decorate my new room, making art out of contrasting newspaper headlines, working on Spanish and Orgo, Blogging More, Yoga and Meditation, and trying my hand at songwriting. So I'll have more updates on that soon.

Here're the things I've accomplished today:
1. Cleaned room
2. Set up a SHPE account.
3. Ranted with Valorie and resolved to take a new course of action.
4. Meditated

Goals for Tomorrow:
1. Go out and have fun
2. Figure out my Schedule at work this weekend.
3. Work on either Spanish or Orgo
4. Cut News clippings for my art project.
5. Work on web and flyer stuff for SHPE
6. Another blog?
7. Find New Projects to try.

I've also decided to try to note how appreciative I am of certain things and share my inspiration with others. One was the quote I used today: "In this life, there is only tomorrow." I'm also very thankful to live in a nation where I can protest without being killed. And I'm thankful to be me.

No comments: